Solid Axle Swap

Comments

• Another obvious point it the drive being on the wrong side. I have had a couple chain driven transfers pop on me now so I will be using a G52 gear driven transfer for strength and to put the output on drivers side. This will then require some creativity with transfer cross member and exhaust clearance though I'm going to worry about that later! I will also need to buy an adaptor plate for this to work but it allows me greater flexibility with modifying gears or even running dual reduction boxes.

• The whole set up will be pushed forward from where it sits in this photo by about 40mm. My next hurdle will be fabricating some boxes for the control arms to mount at the transfer cross member mounts. I originally wanted to use SupEng drop boxes pre fabbed and then modify them to suit, though the wider Prado chassis at this part has made that unfeasible so it will need to be full custom job. The trade off is better clearance and no drop boxes on the rails to get hung up on.

• Multi fit flanges and modifies drive shafts are on the list of things to worry about later as there will be discrepancies with the front (obviously) but also the rear will need to be shortened due to the G25 and its accompanied chunk of alloy that will allow me to bolt it up to the R150f , which, I am actually quite fond of after having had a couple R series 5 speed manuals now.

• Toyota front shaft (on the left) appears a little stronger IMO, though the length the GQ shaft will be close to fitting as it is I think.

• Great idea to source the front cut chassis to use to prepair and experiment on. .

This thing should be tuff as when done .

• I have a spare axle housing that came with my original 3.9 diff (exploded) so I plan on taking the mounts from this one and fitting them to the Mav/Gq rear so that I wont have to change the rear Prado linkages at all (they seem to be strong enough and flex ok )

• Excellent plan to go with a gear driven transfer - can change ratios and make good use of the strength gained up front.
    Will be watching with great interest...

• home made drop box to mount the arms

• haven't finished welding it up yet though as my welder overheated ):