KD J98 camper project

Comments

• @Glen_EP said:
    Absolutely fantastic work!
    If you're thinking of 35s, maybe have at look at expanding the wheel arch areas before having it all painted. At least the front body seam, if not done already.
    Also for the rear bumper, another option - assuming you're going to keep the steel bar from your other 90 - could be to just extend that bar forwards?

Yeah, I’ve already trimmed the fender and also the seem I’m going to do before the paintjob. For now I’m doing the same trimming and cutting as on the driving 95. That is working good. And if I’m going for 35’s we will see if I need to cut more but I think it will be good with some other suspension lift.

Also thought of re-using the steel bar. But I’m afraid I’m going to ad to much weight on the back, so I want to put the original plastic bumper on the back.

• @bartjuh_lanser said:
    Yeah, I’ve already trimmed the fender and also the seem I’m going to do before the paintjob. For now I’m doing the same trimming and cutting as on the driving 95. That is working good. And if I’m going for 35’s we will see if I need to cut more but I think it will be good with some other suspension lift.

Also thought of re-using the steel bar. But I’m afraid I’m going to ad to much weight on the back, so I want to put the original plastic bumper on the back.

Totally understand, I'm always concious of weight to keep vehicle stress down... and for yours the extra length is a factor. Curious if you will be extending chassis for it...

• Awesome work on the build so far 👌 love it.

• Last week I’ve mounted the roof frame permanently on the car. Don’t had time to take so much pictures because the glue wasn’t really cooperative. I put 12 tubes of glue in the raingutters and approximately 60 rivets to get it in place but it’s on it and will never get loose again. So that’s done for painting.

Also received the rear wheel flares. One came from Russia and arrived in 2 days. Was really stoked about that. The other one came out of the UK. Both in good shape so I’m very happy. Also glued already one side together and I’m very pleased with the result, it needs some attention but after the paintjob this is going to look like an OEM part so that’s good.

• The last weeks I’ve been working to make the car compleet ready for the paintjob. So the fender flares are glued together end fits very nicely with the rear bumper.
    Also got the roof back from the coating. Was not completely like I hoped it would look. So but some extra 2-component paint on it, now it looks like I wanted it.

The car is now with the paintshop, so while the guy is busy with painting the car I put the roof together.

Hopefully I will get the car back at the end of next week and then we can start with building it up!

• Boy the finish of top section looks great.
    Eagerly waiting to see what body colour you've gone with!

• Looks great mate, so much work getting it to this stage.

• That's great work and definitely not a weekend project.
    The first thing I thought of when looking at the rear from underneath was "that would fit a nice size watertank".

• I finally got some news about the camper built.
    Last week I picked the car up from the paintshop. I’m very pleased with the colour and also the combination of the black roof and the nardo grey car. Also the seam where I connected the two cars together turned out very nice.

After picking the car up I put the roof on it as soon as possible so I could see the result.

Next is building up the car as far as possible, also put some gas struds on the hood of a 80 series land cruiser. Works very good and look very luxurious 😁

Also started with making the mold for the tent on the roof. So far so good.

Next is building it up for the body swap but first I need some time to make the “old” land cruiser ready for some off road trips with the holiday.

• @Glen_EP said:
    Boy the finish of top section looks great.
    Eagerly waiting to see what body colour you've gone with!

I’m wondering what you are thinking about the colour Glen