KD J98 camper project

13»

Comments

• @Morty said:
    That's great work and definitely not a weekend project.
    The first thing I thought of when looking at the rear from underneath was "that would fit a nice size watertank".

It’s a very good spot for a water tank. But I’m also thinking about making a water tank on the place where they put the secondary fuel tank. Would be more in front of the rear axle so that would be good for the weight balance.

• @bartjuh_lanser said:
    I’m wondering what you are thinking about the colour Glen

My first thought was; oh no! he went with plain old white!!
    But no.. The grey looks fantastic. Like you said the combo with black is really nice. Next the big decisions of colours for flares and bar? Matched gray? Black? Maybe add a third colour to the mix - a light aluminium to match the lighter sections on roof? You've probably already had them painted..... Must be exciting...
    Also the extension worked out so good you'd think it's original.

• Last week i received the fenders back from the paintshop so I could finally make the outside complete.
    Choose the same nardo grey colours for the fenders as for the car. But I used a black trim between the fenders and the car. Looks very nice 😁

Also put the fuel tank covers on it. Looks like it's original. Exactly like I planed it to be.

Also found a donor car for the body swap. The idea is to put the camper body on my current chassis and use the damaged car for putting my “old” body on.
    It’s some extra work but this is a very good way to use the body and turn it into a good car which I can sell later when the camper is ready. Or it’s a nice car for the lady 😜

• Whoops... it’s been a while since I posted an update but we didn’t sit still.
    I put my “old” body on the accident car now and driving in it. It’s not fun to drive it anymore but i have my transport. The soul of the rough and tough land cruiser is out of it but the soul is coming back into the camper.
    I first ripped the body of the accident car.

The chassis was pretty good but I had a good opportunity to make it good for once so I gave it a anti rust treatment and also did some maintenance, replaced the clutch, steering rack and other stuff.

So with the chassis beeing ready for his new body I had to plan a bit of time. I spend 3 days in the workshop but on Sunday I had a driving car and I switched from automatic transmission to manual transmission. In the first day I ripped the body of the chassis and put the prepared chassis onder the body. Was a pretty straight forward job to do.

This was all done I one day. But the biggest challenge was re-wiring. Turns out that the cables behind the dash is different from a manual and automatic transmission. So I had to pull the complete dashboard out and switch the cables and computer.

After being in the wire mess all day long I was glad the car started and was running good.
    The next day was finishing it and pull the roof top tent of. The car looks so small right now. It drives good but it’s no fun anymore.
    Good news is that I can continue with the camper project now and preparing the chassis, giving the engine some maintenance and putting the body on it. Obviously doing the anti rust treatment on this chassis to.

Next is making the body as far as possible ready to put it on the chassis. So I again had to put the wiring in the dashboard and putting it back together.
    Had some experience now so did it a lot quicker.

Putting the lights in it and finishing up as far as possible.

So now it’s time to put the body on the chassis and making the camper alive.

Im very pleased with the result and very happy to have my car back. Couldn’t hope for a better result so far. I have a lot of work to do before it’s done but this was a very big milestone.

Its huge next to the original land cruiser.

Right now I’m working on finishing the outside of the car. And hoping to start on the camper interior in 2 weeks.

• Any further updates?
    Amazing attention to detail and commitment to the build!
    Colour looks fantastic too.